Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, but changed it up a good bit based on other people's reviews. I have never made gumbo or a roux before and this turned out perfect...it makes a LOT, but it is soooo good!! Perfect for a large get-together...
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 lb andouille sausages, sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces beer
- 16 ounces frozen okra
- 2 (10 ounces) cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounces) can Rotel tomatoes (with liquid)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup Cajun seasoning
- 2 (6 ounces) cans crabmeat
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium high heat and cook chicken until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Stir in sausage and cook until evenly browned.
- Drain chicken and sausage and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux.
- Stir constantly (wire whisk works very well) until browned and bubbly.
- Mix in garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Transfer roux mixture into a very large cooking pot and gradually stir chicken broth and beer into the roux mixture.
- Bring to a boil and mix in chicken, sausage, okra, diced tomatoes, chopped onion, Rotel tomatoes, chopped jalapeno peppers and Cajun seasoning.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 40 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix crab meat and shrimp into the mixture and cook about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- If you find this is too thin for your taste, you can mix some cornstarch with cold water and add to it to thicken.
- Serve over rice (Zatarain's long-grain rice is great, it doesn't stick together) along with crusty French bread and your beverage of choice.