Polish wild mushroom soup
- ¼ lb dried wild mushrooms
- 9 cups beef stock or canned reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- white pepper
- sour cream
- chopped fresh parsley
- Cover mushrooms with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain the mushrooms reserving the soaking liquid, strain the liquid through a fine cloth.
- Rinse the mushrooms in cold water to remove any remaining sand then slice into strips.
- Add the mushrooms, 8 cups of of the beef stock and the soaking liquid to a 3 quart saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, add the onion, saute until golden brown then add to the soup.
- Whisk the cornstarch with the remaining cup of beef stock, add to the soup, stir and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into individual bowls, top each with 1 tablespoons of sour cream and sprinkle with parsley.