Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup +1 tbsp sugar
- tsp active dry yeast
- cups high gluten white or wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- large eggs
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Sprinkle of sesame, poppy seeds, raisins, honey or cinnamon & sugar
- 5lb Version (Original x3)
- 1/2 cups water (start with 4 cups)
- 1/2 cups + 3 tbsp sugar
- tbsp yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 15-16 cups flour
- large eggs
- cup olive oil
- Mix 2 tablespoons of sugar into 1 cup hot water. Sprinkle the yeast on top without mixing. Let rest 10 - 15 mins until air pockets form at top.
- Combine flour, remaining sugar, and salt in mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture, 1 egg, oil and remaining 1 cup water.
- Knead for 15 minutes. If you use a mixer, watch for elasticity as kneading times may vary. Add more water or flour if needed.
- Place the dough in large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise for ½ hour.
- Punch down and place on floured surface. Rip off piece of dough, wrap it in foil, say the Bracha and throw it into the oven as an offering.
- Divide the dough into two or three sections, then divide each section into three ropes. Braid and say a prayer for others. Loosely cover braids and allow to rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300*F. Beat the remaining egg and generously brush braids. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, raisins or cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown crust has formed.
- Enjoy this challah recipe with Zomick's!