- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 medium cooking onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 kg spinach or Swiss chard
- 15 ml tomato purée
- 30 ml peanut butter
- 1 lemon
- 5 ml chilli powder
- Trim fat and gristle from the beef and cut into 2.5 cm chunks.
- Skin the onions and chop largish.
- Skin and chop the garlic very fine, or crush.
- Strip the stalks from the spinach and chop.
- Chop the tomatoes very fine.
- Juice the lemon.
- Put the beef in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Add a little salt, bring up to the boil, cover and simmer for 90 minutes or.
- Until the meat is just tender.
- Separate the meat and the stock, preserving both.
- In a large pan, heat a little sunflower oil and stir fry the onions and garlic until onions start to soften.
- Add the chilli powder and the meat and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make the beef stock up to 500 ml with a little water and add to the meat.
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, tomato puree, peanut butter, lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Check the seasoning and add further salt and pepper as necessary.
Vary the quantity of chilli powder to suit the palate or use chopped fresh green chillis.