Spice up your veggie offering with some black-eyed peas that have some kick.
- 1 lb cleaned and sorted dry black-eyed peas, cooked until tender or 5 to 6 cups cooked black-eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 whole medium onion, diced
- 1 whole medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 smoked ham hocks or meaty ham bone
- ¾ tsp black pepper (add to taste)
- 1 tablespoon salt to taste
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced, optional
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker or crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- One hour before done, remove bones and skins, scrape fat off skin and chop meat.
- Put chopped ham back in pot.