Very good if made right
- Put sauerkraut and its liquid in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening and blend well.
- Add the flour, mixing carefully with your fingers.
- Gather into a ball.
- Lightly flour a pastry board and roll out the dough until it is ⅛-inch thick.
- Cut into 2- x 4-inch strips with a sharp knife.
- Add caraway seeds if desired.
- Place the strips on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven until lightly brown.
- If the zelnicky get too brown they become bitter.
- Remove immediately to a rack and cool.
- Serve as snack with beer and cheese or with soup.
Oven tips: If using cushioned baking sheets (double sheets), bake at 375°F degrees. If using regular baking sheets, bake at 350°F.