Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Very good if made right
- Put sauerkraut and its liquid in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening and blend well.
- Add the flour, mixing carefully with your fingers.
- Gather into a ball.
- Lightly flour a pastry board and roll out the dough until it is ⅛-inch thick.
- Cut into 2- x 4-inch strips with a sharp knife.
- Add caraway seeds if desired.
- Place the strips on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven until lightly brown.
- If the zelnicky get too brown they become bitter.
- Remove immediately to a rack and cool.
- Serve as snack with beer and cheese or with soup.
Oven tips: If using cushioned baking sheets (double sheets), bake at 375°F degrees. If using regular baking sheets, bake at 350°F.