Zambian chicken stew. Serves 4 - 6.
- 1 fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts finely ground or ⅓ cup peanut butter
- Fry chicken pieces in hot oil in a heavy stewing pan until well browned.
- Drain chicken and set aside.
- In same oil, sauté onion until golden brown.
- Add water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken pieces to pan and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add ground nuts or peanut butter and continue cooking until chicken is tender.