Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 1/4 lbs flour (1 kilo)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces yeast
- water (I used soy milk)
- soy oil or canola oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar (for dredging)
- Mix all the ingredients except for the water together.
- If you have to proof the yeast first (I don't) then proof it in a little warm water with some of the Sugar.
- If using an electric mixer with a dough hook, start kneading the dough while slowly adding warm water, a little at a time, until you get a pliable, but slightly sticky dough.
- You don't want the dough to be stiff enough to pick up and throw at someone (don't laugh, it's been done before), but at the same time, you don't want the dough to be so gloopy you have to dish it out with a spoon.
- You want this to have a little substance, but still still to the bowl a bit, and to your hands.
- If you are working by hand, just read the above directions, but forget about the dough hook.
- First use a good, heavy wooden spoon, then start working and kneading with your hands.
- Let the dough rise until doubled.
- If you don't have enough patience for this, a good zap in the microwave for 30 seconds on high every 15 minutes or so should give that dough a good burst of energy.
- When the dough has doubled in bulk, punch it down (feels good, doesn't it), wipe the sticky dough off your hands, and let it rise until doubled again.
- Punch it down again.
- Pour about two inches of oil in a pot that's suitable for deep frying.
- I used a smallish pot and fried the zalabia two at a time.
- Pinch off a ping-pong ball-sized piece of dough.
- Shape it into a ball and then with your fingers, poke a hole and shape the dough into a doughnut.
- Fry in the hot oil, first on one side, then on the other, until golden brown.
- Be careful, they brown quickly.
- Drain on absorbant paper towels, and dredge with powdered sugar.
I Love this dessert! Yummy :)