Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Hot Chili Beef and Onion Soup. This chili-red soup is exceptionally hot. It is said that the time to serve it is in the hottest months, when the perspiration it induces has a cooling effect on the diner. It is equally effective ammunition against winter cold.
- Yield: 12 servings
- 2 lb braising beef
- 16 cup water
- 3 tbsp hot chili powder
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 24 green onions
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Cut the beef into cubes and place in a saucepan with the water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1½ to 2 hours until the meat is falling apart.
- Mix the chili powder with the sesame oil.
- Trim and shred the green onions.
- Heat the chili powder and sesame oil in a pan and fry the green onions with the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds, sugar, pepper and soy sauce and fry for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Lift out the meat, drain well and toss in the pan for a few minutes.
- Return the contents of the pan to the stock and bring to a boil, simmering until the soup is well flavored.