Originated from the Hakka dish stuffed tofu, it is originally tofu stuffed with minced Pork and flavoured with salted . The hawker version is a creative reinvention consisting not just of stuffed tofu but a great many interesting ingredients. Minced meat has been replaced with paste. What's important in this dish is the soup and the sauces, the rest is up to your imagination!
Presented here is a simplified version that is fast and easy to make, this is a highly flexible dish since most ingredients are just boiled. You may replace or add your favourite ingredients to the suggested ones below.
- bean curd stick (soaked or boil to soften)
- sweet bean curd stick (deep fried)
- deep fried pig skin (soaked and boil till soft)
- squid balls
- firm tofu
- bell pepper
(Japanese soup stock is an excellent replacement)
Garnish and Sauce Edit
- Prepare soup stock and boil pig skin and bean curd stick until soft, briefly cook the other ingredients.
- To serve, put various ingredients in a bowl and pour hoisin and chili sauce over, splash some sesame oil over and topped with spring onions and roasted sesame seeds. Soup to be served on the side.
- Alternatively, all ingredients maybe served in the soup and the hoisin and chilli sauce served as a dip sauce.