When made in bulk, this chili can readily be frozen.
- 6 to 12 chilies
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 pack soy or textured vegetable protein (12oz)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp red pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 12 cups water
- Wash, stem and remove seeds from the chilies.
- Put chilies in 3 cups cold water and bring to a boil.
- After about 45 minutes to an hour the skins should slip off easily.
- Mash the pulp into a paste.
- If this seems too difficult, you can substitute chili powder at the ratio of 1 tablespoon chili powder to a pod of chili.
- Read the instructions on the soy or TVP package to see if the product was soaked beforehand.
- If not, use some of the water to prepare this ingredient.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the garlic and spices , then the 12 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then add the nuggets.
- Reduce to a simmer, cook for 30 minutes to an hour.
- If this seems too runny, you can thicken with masa, the cornmeal flour used in tortillas.
Nutritional information Edit
Total calories per serving: 163, Fat 4 grams.