Yerushalmi kugel is named after the city of Jerusalem. Legend has it that it originated in Jerusalem with the followers of the Vilna Gaon in the 18th century.
- 8 oz (200 g) noodles (egg noodles are preferred, but others work fine as well)
- ⅔ cup (160 g) sugar (white sugar is helpful because it's more obvious when it begins to brown)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- handful of raisins
- 1 – 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- Boil noodles acording to the instructions and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, and add ⅓ cup (80 g) of sugar.
- Stir continuously until the sugar begins to brown. Remove from heat.
- The sugar will continue to brown for a few more minutes, creating a thick caramel.
- Add the caramel to the noodles.
- Add the sugar, eggs, cinnamon, pepper, and raisins. Stir.
- Bake in a pan at 350 °F (180 °C) until the top begins to brown (about 40 minutes).