- 3 celery stalks, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 large tomato, almost quartered but not cut apart at bottom 3 potatoes, peeled and diced, kept in cold water 3 pounds Beef shoulder, ribs, or stew meat (fat removed)
- 3 pieces (about 2 pounds) marrow bones
- 1 (3 lb) Chicken, cleaned and quartered Up to 5 quarts water
- 10-12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 9 small white onions
- 1 large white turnip, quartered but unpeeled 4 leeks or 8 green onions, coarsely cut
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley or fresh coriander, woody stems trimmed away salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon hawayij (Yemenite spices), or to taste
- Eat by dipping bread into the soup, scooping up the meat and vegetables and/or the sauce.
- Serves 10 to 12.