- 8 to 12 cloves whole garlic, peeled
- 2 fresh red peppers sliced in chunks
- 1 tsp cumin or to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric or to taste
- 1 salt and freshly ground
- 1 pepper to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 lb whitefish, whiting, sea bass or trout fillets
- paprika to taste
- Put the garlic, fresh red pepper, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, oil and water in a saucepan and simmer very slowly, covered for about 1½ hours.
- Be careful not to let the sauce burn, adding water if necessary.
- Pour some of the sauce in a baking pan and place the on top.
- Spoon the rest of the sauce around the fish.
- Cover and simmer on top of the stove for 15 – 20 minutes or until the fish flakes.
- Serve the next day reheated as an appetizer.