Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 eggplant (1¼ to 1¾ pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1½ pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons each allspice and cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup currants
- 3 tablespoons each chopped fresh mint and cilantro
- salt, pepper to taste*
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ¾-inch cubes.
- Place in strainer and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain about 30 minutes.
- Heat ¼-cup of oil in pan and sauté onions about 5–10 minutes, until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices, cooking until tomatoes and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and currants, stir and transfer to bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and cook eggplant about 30–40 minutes until tender.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Add mint and cilantro and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
- Best if made a day in advance.