Fruits and Veggies Matter Child Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Indians eat rice with many meals. Pay careful attention when preparing this recipe to discover which spice causes the rice to turn yellow.
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 medium-size Russet potato, diced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup basmati or long-grain rice
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; add onion and potato. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water, rice, salt, cumin seeds, and turmeric; over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice and potatoes are tender. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in chickpeas.
- Basmati rice is a special, toasty-flavored Indian rice. Now, it is also grown in the United States. If you don’t find it at the supermarket, use regular,