- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole-grain yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbs. nonaluminum baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/3 cup prune pur8Ee
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup mashed yams
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs. egg replacer powder
- 3 Tbs. light brown muscovado sugar
- 1/3 cup plain soymilk
2. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and allspice in a mixing bowl. Set aside. In second bowl, combine prune pur8Ee, applesauce and mashed yams. In a third bowl, and using a wire whisk or fork, beat water and egg replacer powder until foamy. Add mixture to yam mixture. Stir in Sugar, and mix together thoroughly. Fold dry ingredients into liquid ingredients in second bowl using a rubber spatula. Add soymilk, and mix well.
3. Turn dough onto a generously floured board, and knead, adding more flour as needed. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Pat into a circle about 1/2-inch thick. Dip a biscuit cutter or glass into flour, and cut out biscuits. Alternatively, cut biscuits into squares with a floured serrated knife. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pan.
4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks.