Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Grape leaves stuffed with bulgur, apricots and mint
- 14 grape leaves, rinsed and dried
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- mint leaves and lemon slices for garnish (optional)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup coarse bulgur, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup (packed) dried apricots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- In heavy medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Stir in bulgur.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine lentils with enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- Gently boil, uncovered, until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well and set aside.
- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add raisins, apricots, mint, cinnamon and allspice.
- Stir in bulgur and lentils and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To fill grape leaves Edit
- Place one leaf flat on work surface with veins facing upward.
- Place 2 teaspoons filling in middle of leaf close to stalk end.
- Fold bottom of leaf over and each side in to enclose filling.
- Roll up firmly toward point.
- Place roll in the palm of hand and give a slight squeeze to form a firm shape.
- Repeat procedure with remaining leaves and filling.
- Arrange stuffed leaves, seam sides down, in medium skillet.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and enough water to cover leaves.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for 1½ to 2 hours or until tender.
- Add extra water to skillet as necessary.
- Allow leaves to cool, covered, in skillet.
- Transfer to a serving dish and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve garnished with lemon and mint if desired.