Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 20 minutes or less
Cook time: 10 minutes
This salad is a tasty and more nutrient rich alternative to lettuce based salads during the cold winter month. Both kale and Brussel sprouts are winter vegetables and develop their best flavor after the first frost. Grow kale in your garden and you can harvest into March.
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 Tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs cold-pressed sunflower oil
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced (= 3 cups)
- 3 cups of leafy greens such as Swiss chard or kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375
- Toast sunflower seeds in a single layer until golden, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Stir mustard, lemon juice, salt and maple syrup together in a small bowl; whisk in oil until emulsified
- Toss Brussel sprouts, chard and/or kale together
- Add sunflower seeds
- Pour in dressing and toss to coat
- Serve immediately