Contributed by Lilly at Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Wilton candy thermometer package
- 36 pieces
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) half-and-half
- 2 cup (480 ml or 400 g) granulated sugar
- 2 (2 oz) square unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) light corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter, cut in thin slices
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Chop chocolate coarsely.
- Line a 6" (15.2 cm) sq pan with foil and light butter foil.
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla in 3-qt (3-liter) heavy saucepan.
- Place pan over med heat and stir constantly with wooden spoon until all sugar crystals are dissolved.
- Wash down sides of pan with pastry brush dipped in hot water,; then clip on thermometer.
- Stir occasionally.
- When temp reaches 236°F (113°F), immediately remove pan from heat.
- Leave thermometer in position.
- Total cooking time is about 18 minutes.
- Place vanilla on surface of mixture.
- Do not stir or move pan until thermometer registers 110°F (43°F), about 30 minutes.
- Beat mixture vigorously with wooden spoon until it loses some of its gloss, turns a lighter color and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Turn into prepared pan and press lightly with spoon to level surface.
- Do not scrape pan.
- Cool at room temp about 40 minutes; then cut in 1" (2.5 cm) square, or wrap uncut candy closely in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 1 month.