Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Wilmot Estate in Rowlett, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 peeled carrots coarsely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig marjoram
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cubed hard white bread
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1½ pounds peeled tomatoes thickly sliced
- 3 hard boiled eggs sliced
- 3 teaspoons chopped capers
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place chicken stock, carrots, cinnamon stick, thyme, marjoram, pepper and wine in a saucepan then bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add salt.
- Discard cinnamon stick, thyme and marjoram then set the stock aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place bread cubes in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a skillet.
- Add half the bread cubes and fry for a few minutes then transfer to a plate covered with absorbent paper.
- Repeat this procedure with remaining bread cubes then set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet then add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat stirring constantly for 10 minutes then set aside.
- Fifteen minutes before serving preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer.
- Divide the bread cubes and stewed tomatoes among 6 ovenproof bowls and garnish with 2 slices of egg then add the hot chicken stock.
- Sprinkle with capers, olives, raisins and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
- Bake until the soup starts to boil.
- Serve hot sprinkled with feta.