Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The name roughly translates to "wildebeest chestnuts".
- Makes about 50
- 200 g white sugar
- 250 ml water
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 25 ml golden syrup
- 300 g cake flour
- 12.5 ml baking powder
- 1 ml salt
- 12.5 ml butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 100 ml milk
- extra butter, softened
- oil for deep frying
- Bring the sugar, water, lemon juice and golden syrup to the boil and stir until all the sugar has dissolved
- Cook syrup for 8 minutes over moderate heat
- Cool in the deep freeze till ice cold.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together
- Rub the 12.5 ml of butter into the mixture
- Beat the eggs and milk together and cut this mixture into the flour mixture with a spatula.
- Add a little extra milk if the dough is too stiff
- Shape the dough into a sausage and divide it into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll one piece at a time into a thin rectangular shape on a flour strewn surface
- Spread softened butter on the dough rectangle and sprinkle them with cornflour.
- Repeat, stacking the 6 rectangles on top of each other as you go.
- Roll the stack up lengthwise into a cylinder
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 2 cm slices.
- Moisten the ends of each little roll and press them together to prevent the roll from unraveling when fried.
- Deep fry a few rolls at a time in moderately hot oil till they're golden brown.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and immediately submerse in the ice-cold syrup (use a potato masher to keep under for a while.
- Drain on a wire rack on a tray.
- Chill before serving.