Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons egg mix + ¼ cup water (or 1 egg)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water.
- Combine sugar, sage, salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Beat egg and cottage cheese together until smooth. Add melted shortening and yeast.
- Add flour mixture slowly to egg mixture, beating well after each addition until a stiff dough is formed.
- Cover dough with cloth and put in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour). Punch dough down, knead for one minute, and place in well-greased pan. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Brush top with melted shortening.
- Optional: Sprinkle with crushed, roasted pine nuts or coarse salt.