Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Wild Rice with Vegetables from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- Low fat cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (2¾ oz.) package wild rice, uncooked
- 1⅓ cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Spray a medium saucepan with cooking spray, add oil then heat to medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, carrots then sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in wild rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally or until broth is absorbed. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro.