Wild Rice with Vegetables from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- Low fat cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¾ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 (2¾ oz.) package wild rice, uncooked
- 1⅓ cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Spray a medium saucepan with cooking spray, add oil then heat to medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, carrots then sauté until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in wild rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally or until broth is absorbed. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with cilantro.