This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mason Estate in Fate, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 14 ounce can chicken broth divided
- 4 quarts water
- 13 ounce package uncooked whole wheat rotini
- cooking spray
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
- 8 ounces bagged pre-washed cut mustard greens
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup grated fresh pecorino romano cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place ½ cup broth in a small saucepan over medium heat then simmer until reduced to 3 tablespoons.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine water and remaining broth in a large dutch oven then bring to a boil over high heat and stir in pasta.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes then drain well.
- Place pasta in a large bowl and keep warm.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and cook 4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Remove casings from sausage and ass sausage to pan.
- Cook 6 minutes stirring to crumble.
- Stir in greens and cook 2 minutes.
- Add reduced stock, half and half and cheese.
- Cook 4 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add sausage mixture to pasta and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.