Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 45 minutes (depending on oven and how full the muffin cups are)
Yields: 2 dozen
These are a great healthy muffin, and they freeze well. I have them with almond butter before a workout, or in the morning for a quick breakfast. You can play around with them by trying different berries or fruit (I have used fresh cranberries in the fall), and they are also great with nuts (pecans, walnuts). You can also use maple syrup instead of honey if you want to make them vegan. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 6 medium mashed ripe bananas
- 1 Tbs pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend together honey, apple sauce, bananas and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing only until ingredients are combined. A good muffin batter should be lumpy.
- Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Fill each muffin cup at least ¾ full. These muffins do not rise very much.
- Bake for about 30 to 45 minutes. Test with a knife. The point should come out clean when the muffins are ready.