Milk, Nonfat, Dry Non-Instant by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
White Sauce mix
- In a large bowl, cut butter into flour with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Place in an airtight container and label: “White Sauce mix”.
- Store in refrigerator. Use within 2 months.
Basic medium white sauce
- Combine in a saucepan: ½ cup white sauce mix and 1 cup cool water. (For thinner white sauce decrease the mix to ¼ cup, for thicker white sauce increase mix to ¾ cup).
- Cook over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Makes about 1½ cups sauce.