The original version of this chili recipe is baked, but I find it easier to do on the stovetop. To bake, simply brown the meat and onions, and then combine everything in an oven-safe casserole and bake in a moderate oven for about an hour.
For many years I was unable to get green chilis, and I grew accustomed to the flavor of this chili without them. Thus I list them as optional.
- 1 lb chicken breast or tenders, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp powdered cumin
- 1 x 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 x 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans and navy beans also work)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 x 4 oz can of diced green chilis (optional)
- 1 box chicken broth (4 cups)
- shredded cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Sauté onion, garlic and cumin until onion is soft.
- Add chicken and cook until white or golden.
- Add beans, corn, chilis and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for at least an hour.
- Top with shredded cheese when serving.