- Dissolve yeast in warm water and 1 tsp sugar.
- Combine salt, shortening, ½ cup sugar, water and yeast mixture well in large mixing bowl.
- Add 5 cups flour and beat with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 6 cups flour by hand.
- Turn onto floured board and knead 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once, cover and let rise ½ hour.
- Punch down, turn over and let rise again until double.
- Knead a few minutes, then shape into 4 loaves and place in greased 9"x5" loaf pans.
- Cover loaves with damp cloth and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Brush tops with margarine if desired.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.