Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: ½ hour while beans cook
Cook time: 2 hours
This soup is a winter staple in our home. It is full of flavor and warmth you through and through.
- ¾ lb dried white beans
- 8½ cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch saffron threads
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb Spanish chorizo sausage cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ¾ lb kale, stemmed and chopped coarsely
- fresh ground black pepper
- sherry vinegar to taste
- Place the beans in a large pot pour in 8 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add bay leaf and pinch of salt.
- Cook partially covered, stirring often and adjusting heat to keep it at a slow steady simmer until the beans are tender. Approximately 2 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Soak the saffron in the remaining ½ cup chicken stock.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and cook until softened; add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in red pepper and paprika, cook 2 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to the pot with beans.
- Stir in saffron with the cooking liquid, the chorizo and kale.
- Bring back to simmer and cook just until the kale is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in the vinegar.
- Serve hot.