Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Has lots of spices and a little bit of heat from the Scotch bonnet. Very Caribbean. Served either hot or cold, easily prepares in advance for when you need it.
- 2 lbs cooking pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet peppers or habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas; optional; for garnish)
- In a mixing bowl, toss squash and sweet potatoes with melted butter, brown sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Spread mixture onto a greased roasting pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 - 1½ hours, or until tender.
- Saute onion in oil in a large pot until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Scotch bonnet, garlic, and ginger and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the thyme, orange peel, curry powder, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves, mixing everything thoroughly.
- When it becomes sticky, add the roasted vegetables and stir to mix, then the chicken stock, stirring to keep blending everything.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Purée approximately ⅓ of the soup in a blender until it is smooth then add back to soup and stir well.
- Add heavy cream and coconut milk and blend.
- Reheat if necessary.
- May also be chilled before serving up to 1 day.
- Serve cold or hot, garnished with roasted pumpkin seeds (if desired).