A Catfish recipe.
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 mild green chili pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1¾ cups chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 small yams, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into 2-inch cubes
- ½ pound fresh okra, sliced (or 1 10-ounce package frozen cut okra, thawed)
- hot pepper sauce
- Heat oil in a dutch oven or a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, chili pepper and bell pepper and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add eggplant, garlic, salt, white pepper and cayenne pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and yams and bring to a boil.
- Mix peanut butter and hot water in a small bowl and stir into the stew.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until broth starts to thicken.
- Add catfish fillet pieces and okra and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- Season stew with hot pepper sauce to taste and serve.