A great tasting cheese dish, wonderful for snacks, can be made ahead or even frozen, great also as a sauce over Cauliflower or combined vegetables by JoyfulCook
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- © 2007 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com
- 30 minutes | 20 minutes prep
- 8 – 10 servings / slices
- 6 – 7 ounces cheddar cheese or strong cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, heaped
- 1 egg
- 8 – 10 slices bread
- Grate cheese.
- Beat the egg.
- Put milk and mustard in a small saucepan heat slowly stirring all the time.
- Mix the cornflour together with a small amount of extra milk and add to the hot, not boiling saucepan and stir.
- Add grated cheese continue stirring on low heat until it boils and thickens.
- Add beaten egg slowly while stirring.
- Allow to cool.
- For welsh rarebit, toast bread on one side, and spread liberal amount of the welsh rarebit in the untoasted side.
- Grill and serve immediately
- Or over vegetables, pour the hot sauce over the vegetables and serve immediately.
Nutrition information Edit
Per (69g) serving:
- Calories 176 | Calories from Fat 82 (46%) | Total Fat 9.2g 14% (Saturated Fat 5.2g 26%, Polyunsat. Fat 0.7g, Monounsat. Fat 2.6g, Trans Fat 0.0g) | Cholesterol 50mg 16% | Sodium 318mg 13% | Potassium 80mg 2% | Total Carbohydrate 14.7g 4% (Dietary Fiber 0.7g 2%, Sugars 1.3g) | Protein 8.6g 17% | Vitamin A 264mcg 5% | Vitamin B6 0.1mg 2% | Vitamin B12 0.3mcg 5% | Vitamin C 0mg 0% | Vitamin E 0mcg 0% | Calcium 214mg 21% | Magnesium 15mg 3% | Iron 1mg 6% | Alcohol 0.0g | Caffeine 0.0mg