- 1 gammon knuckle of Ham, or a thick piece of salt Bacon
- 500 g (1 lb) potatoes (peeled)
- 6 carrots (cut into small pieces)
- 1 large bunch of leeks (thinly sliced)
- 1 cabbage (finely shredded)
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) oatmeal
- a little cold water
- seasoning to taste
- chopped parsley for garnishing
- Cook gammon knuckle with peeled potatoes and carrots on low heat for about 11/2 hours. Remove gammon knuckle and add thinly sliced leeks and finely shredded cabbage.
- Thicken the soup by mixing the oatmeal to a stiff paste with a little cold water and adding gradually to the mixture. Stir well and when the vegetables are soft season to taste.
- Add chopped parsley and serve.