Purchased from the Watson Estate in McKinney, Texas in 1991. Dated 1931. Notation on card said this was served every Sunday (with variations) for over 30 years in Grandpa Jack’s house. I have made these recipes with all variations (to follow) and there is not a bad one in the bunch. My favorite my far is the Bacon Waffles. Yummy.
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup finely crushed corn flakes
- 3 tablespoons corn meal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1-cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Sift and measure flour.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and sift again.
- Beat the egg yolks and them to the milk.
- Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ones.
- Add melted butter.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold them into the batter just before baking.
- Bake in preheated waffle iron for 3 minutes.
- Make sure iron is nice and hot.
- Increase milk if batter is too thick.