Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 4 quarts prepared watermelon rind
- 2 tbsp salt
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 8 cups sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 (1-inch) piece gingerroot (optional)
- To prepare watermelon rind, cut rind into 2- x 1-inch pieces.
- Trim green skin and pink flesh from rind.
- Place prepared rind in large kettle and add salt and enough boiling water to cover.
- Simmer until tender.
- Drain and chill rind in very cold water at least 1 hour or overnight in refrigerator.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and mixture of cinnamon, cloves and gingerroot tied in cheesecloth.
- Bring to boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Drain watermelon rind and add to syrup.
- Simmer until rind becomes translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard spices.
- Pack rind and syrup into hot sterilized quart jars, leaving ¼-inch head space.
- Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath 20 minutes.