Spicy Japanese-style peas.
- Source: Gourmet Sleuth
- Contributed by Linda Furiya of the San Francisco Chronicle
- Yield: 4 cups
- Soak the peas in water to cover overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Drain the peas, then cook them according to instructions on the package.
- Mix the olive oil with the cooked peas until well coated.
- Oil a baking sheet and spread the peas evenly across it.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 hours, until the peas appear dry and are crisp when bitten into.
- Combine the wasabi powder, tahini, rice vinegar and mustard in a mixing bowl.
- Combine the wasabi mixture with the hot peas making sure that all the peas are evenly coated.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the peas on the baking sheet, separating as many as you can.
- Increase the oven temperature to 250°F.
- Bake the peas for 10 to 15 minutes, until the coating is dry.