For added color, combine a mix of red cherry tomatoes with yellow and/or orange cherry or pear-shaped tomatoes.
Warmed Tomato Salad with Fresh Mozzarella from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- low fat cooking spray
- 2½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped shallots or onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, snipped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cheese cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Spray a large skillet with low fat cooking spray then raise heat to medium heat.
- Add shallots (or onions), garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 2–3 minutes or until shallots are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 1–2 minutes until tomatoes are warmed then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with the mozzarella.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar then toss to coat evenly.