This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mason Estate in Fate, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 bacon slices chopped
- 12 cups torn mustard greens stems removed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and chopped
- 16 ounce can black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan then set bacon aside.
- Add greens and cook 4 minutes.
- Combine greens, salt and black pepper in a large bowl then set aside.
- Add oil to pan then stir in onions, caraway seeds, garlic and jalapeño then cook 1 minute.
- Add peas and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Add pea mixture to greens mixture then sprinkle with reserved bacon.