Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Serves: 6 to 8
There are as many different recipes for lobio (beans) as there are people in Abkhazia: lobios flavored with lemon, coriander, walnuts, red hot peppers, cinnamon, cloves, ground marigolds, pomegranate juices, tarragon vinegar, tkemali sauce, plum jam, bay leaves, garlic, tamarind, or some combination of these.
- Soak the beans overnight covered with water (or if you are, like me, impatient, cover rinsed beans with 4 times their volume water, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and let sit for an hour. Rinse them and carry on with the recipe or just use canned beans).
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with fresh water.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain and stir in the chopped onion.
- Grind the cilantro and parsley together with the walnuts, garlic and hot pepper.
- Add them to the beans.
- Mix the cinnamon, cloves, marigold, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt into the bean mixture.
- Pour in enough pomegranate juice to moisten the beans, and mix well.
- Allow the beans to cool to room temperature, then serve liberally garnished with pomegranate seeds.