- Cover the grated coconut with boiling water and squeeze out the first creamy thick milk.
- Put this aside.
- Add more hot water and squeeze again to obtain a thinner milk.
- Wash the rice three times in cold water.
- Put the thinner coconut milk in a saucepan with a little salt and let it nearly come to the boil.
- Add the washed rice and stir carefully.
- Keep stirring so as not to burn.
- Add the creamy thick coconut milk and continue stirring.
- The heat must be moderate.
- Cover the rice with greaseproof paper, put on the pan lid and a heavy weight to seal, and steam for about 25 minutes on a very low heat until ready to serve.
- Coconut rice can be served with chicken or or on its own with vegetables, or curry.