Homemade cherry wine
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 lbs cherries with the pitts, washed and stemmed
- 1 cup of water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2¼ cups eau-de-vie
- 9 cups red wine
- Put the cherries in a saucepan along with the sugar and vanilla bean.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain the juice and allow to cool.
- In a large, wide-brimmed jar, mix the strained juice with the eau-de-vie.
- Seal the jar and place in a cool dark place for 15 days.
- After 15 days, add the wine to the cherry eau-de-vie.
- If making the wine for gifts, pour into decorative bottles and seal.
- Store the bottles, tightly sealed in a cool, dark place.
- Serve very well chilled as an apéritif or as a dessert wine.