A very hearty beans, vegetable and Sausage one-dish supper. Hits the spot on a chilly day.
- 1/2 lb kidney beans or pinto beans
- 2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 4 onions, sliced and divided into rings
- 2 green Apples, peeled and cut in wedges
- 2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb Bacon, sliced,cooked
- 1 large smoked Sausage, sliced
Soak the beans overnight in water to cover; drain and put in a large heavy casserole.
Cover the beans with water and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to medium low, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Stir in the butter until it melts.