Vietnamese Fresh Spring Rolls
1/3 (6.75 ounce) package rice vermicelli 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter) 8 large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined and cut in half 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro 2 leaves lettuce, chopped 4 teaspoons fish sauce 1/4 cup water 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice 1 clove garlic, minced 2 tablespoons white sugar 1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce 1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
2. Fill a large bowl with warm water. One at a time, dip the spring roll wrappers into the water for a few seconds to soften. Lay wrappers flat. In centers place rows of shrimp, vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrappers, beginning at the end with the lettuce.
3. In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
4. In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
5. Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
Makes 8 spring rolls