Thit Bo Vien are Vietnamese Beef balls. They can be added to any noodle soup or other meat dishes.
- 1 ¼ cup Vietnamese fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar, white only
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, iodized or kosher only
- 2 lbs. beef shank
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oil, olive, vegetable, or corn only
- Boil a big pot of water or broth.
- Cut meat into chunks and ground the meat in a food processor. Partially frozen meat will be ground better.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients one at time slowly while grinding the meat to ensure it is mixed up well with the meat.
- Keep grinding until you get a very fine paste with no lumps and no grits.
- Roll the paste into a ball and drop into the boiling water or broth.
- When the balls surface to the top, then they are done. Take them out.
- They can be enjoyed right away or frozen for later use. Wrap the homemade meatballs with the aluminium foil in a baking sheet but reserve this in the freezer.