Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 hours preparation
- 4-6 servings.
- 2½ lbs beef bones with marrow, cracked
- 2 medium carrots, scraped, sliced
- 3 lbs beef chuck
- 1 stalk celery, pared and cubed
- 3 quarts water
- 3 small turnips, pared and cubed
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut up
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced thin
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 2 medium leeks, white parts only
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Taking the white parts of the leek only, clean and thinly slice them.
- Scald bones and rinse in cold water.
- Put beef and water in a large kettle; bring to a boil.
- Add bones, salt and pepper.
- Slowly bring to a full simmer; remove any scum from the top.
- Cook over low heat, partially covered, 1½ hours.
- Again remove any scum from the top.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook about 40 minutes, until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove and discard parsley, bay leaves, and bones.
- Take out the meat and cut into bite sized pieces, discarding any gristle.
- Return meat to soup.
- You may also add noodles, rice or dumplings to the finished soup.