|Viennese Apple Pie|
Buttery, lemon-scented pastry filled with fluffy apples and rum soaked sultanas make this a hard to beat apple pie. Serve it warm or cold in dainty wedges dusted with icing sugar and cinnamon if liked.
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30-35mins
- Serves 8-10
- 50g/2oz sultanas,
- 3 tbsp dark rum,
- 225g/8oz plain flour,
- 50g/2oz ground almonds,
- 175g/6oz butter,
- 150g/5oz caster sugar,
- grated zest and juice 1 lemon,
- 1 egg, separated,
- 675g/11/2lb Bramley apples,
- 25g/1oz walnuts, chopped,
- 50g/2oz sponge fingers, crumbled,
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon,
- a little granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
- Mix the sultanas and rum together and set aside to soak. Mix the flour and almonds together then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in the 50g/2oz of the sugar and lemon zest.
- Mix the egg yolk with the lemon juice and stir into the dry ingredients and mix to make a firm dough. Chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/ 350oF/Gas Mark 4. Peel, core and slice the apples, place in a bowl, add the remaining sugar, walnuts, sponge fingers, cinnamon and soaked sultanas.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 20cm/8in round loose-based sandwich tin, allow the pastry to ovehang the edges. Spoon in the apple mixture, pressing it down firmly. Roll out the remaining pastry, use the tin as a guide to cut out a circle to form a lid, then roll over the excess pastry to make a neat seam on to of the pie. Make a steam hole in the centre of the pie.
- Whisk the egg white until frothy then brush over the top of the pie, sprinkle with the granulated sugar and bake for 30-35mins or until the pastry is golden. Leave to cool. Serving warm in wedges with cream.