- ½ gallon milk
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 stick cinnamon
- zest of one orange
- 5 whole allspice berries
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 cup aged dark rum
- Combine milk with spices and sugar in large heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, until milk just starts to bubble around the edges.
- Lower heat and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep 10 additional minutes, then strain into another large heavy pot.
- Heat gently, then add chocolate and rum.
- Whisk briskly 5 minutes over low flame until chocolate is completely melted.