Vegetarian West African Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain
- Serves: 8
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 6 cups sweet potatoes (not yams), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15½ ounce) cans garbanzo beans, undrained
- 2 (14½ ounce) or 1 (32 ounce) cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes, undrained
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan and sauté onions until they start to brown.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients then raise heat to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low then cover and let simmer for 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are softened.