Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
This vegetarian version of the classic containing sausage meat is a bit like all-in-one egg soldiers - a runny yolk encased in crispy fried fresh breadcrumbs with the addition of some fresh chopped herbs. Delicious for breakfast or brunch.
- 5 medium eggs
- Flour for dusting
- Fresh breadcrumbs - about 4 handfuls - enough to coat 4 eggs
- 1 dessert spoon of finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 dessert spoon of finely chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F/170 °C. Place 4 of the eggs in a pan and cover completely with cold water. Heat over a high heat until boiling then reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Cool in cold water before peeling.
- Whisk the remaining egg. Combine the chopped herbs with the breadcrumbs and season. Gently roll each boiled egg in flour, then the egg mixture then the breadcrumbs.
- Put the oil in a pan to a depth of 2 inches/5 cm and heat. Fry the eggs until golden, turning so as not to burn - for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in the oven in an ovenproof dish to heat through for about 3-4 minutes.