Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
This vegetarian version of the classic containing sausage meat is a bit like all-in-one egg soldiers - a runny yolk encased in crispy fried fresh breadcrumbs with the addition of some fresh chopped herbs. Delicious for breakfast or brunch.
- 5 medium eggs
- Flour for dusting
- Fresh breadcrumbs - about 4 handfuls - enough to coat 4 eggs
- 1 dessert spoon of finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 dessert spoon of finely chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F/170 °C. Place 4 of the eggs in a pan and cover completely with cold water. Heat over a high heat until boiling then reduce the heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Cool in cold water before peeling.
- Whisk the remaining egg. Combine the chopped herbs with the breadcrumbs and season. Gently roll each boiled egg in flour, then the egg mixture then the breadcrumbs.
- Put the oil in a pan to a depth of 2 inches/5 cm and heat. Fry the eggs until golden, turning so as not to burn - for about 2-3 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in the oven in an ovenproof dish to heat through for about 3-4 minutes.